Saturday, November 21, 2009

"I saw the moon this week, but it has been a very long time since I really looked at it. The sky was that shade of blue which lends itself to the moon for daytime viewing, and the moon was a chalky detailed outline just hanging there as I walked in the woods with my students. This moon, however, wasn’t my moon anymore. The moon is Harold’s now, to do with as he will."
-David Nickel, my cousin in Iceland.




I used to read the letters my Uncle Harold would send my mom. One of my greatest memories of when I was younger. Since I was born into the world, my mom's side of the family taught me about nature and how they would relate to it and connect with it. This quote from David's blog, after the birth of his 13 day old son, made me feel like I belong again. It is important to be reminded of where I came from and what I have gained from these people. Thanks David.

No comments:

Blog Archive